Studying abroad allows you to learn about other cultures and gain experiences that might not be available to you in your home country. If you’re interested in studying abroad but want to do so on an Australian Student Visa 500, GTE can help make this a reality. With 30 years of experience helping students’ study in Australia, we have the knowledge and expertise to help you secure your student visa and prepare for your study abroad experience.
What is Student Visa 500?
If you are an international student and want to study in this country, the most common type of student visa you’ll need is a Student Visa 500. This visa is for those who have graduated from high school or university and want to study for one or two years before returning home. The visa lasts up to four years and will allow you to work part-time during your studies.
To get a Visa 500, applicants must prove that they can financially support themselves throughout their stay in Australia and provide evidence of how they will be able to pay tuition fees and living costs. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate that they do not intend to overstay the four years by providing documents demonstrating when they intend to return home.
The first thing you should know about Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
Studying in Australia is a popular choice for international students, but the process of studying there can be complicated. With Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) status, it’s possible to study at an Australian institution without needing a student visa. But before you apply, make sure that you meet these requirements:
- You’re not going to work or undertake paid employment while living in Australia.
- You have strong English skills and are proficient enough to enter your chosen degree course.
- You’ve applied and been accepted by a university or college with courses related to your field of expertise. Suppose you’ve received a scholarship from an Australian organization, all the better. Keep in mind that if you apply for and receive GTE status, it will only last up to two years- plenty of time to complete your studies.
- When you arrive at customs in Australia, remember to inform them about your temporary resident intent; otherwise, they may not let you stay.
- Be careful to comply with immigration law, as breaking the terms of your visa could mean deportation.
- You’ll need a Medicare card to receive healthcare during your time in Australia. Without one, you could end up spending thousands on medical bills.
How to apply for Student Visa 500?
To apply for an Australian Student Visa 500, you will need to complete the following steps; it’s good to take help from an immigration consultant in Australia to complete the procedure.
- Complete an online application.
- Check your eligibility by completing a general skills assessment test.
- Provide evidence of English language proficiency -Submit copies of academic transcripts, certificates, and personal documents such as birth certificates, passports, and proof of residency.
Student Visa 500 Eligibility Requirements
If you are an international student and wish to study for more than three months in Australia, you must have a student visa. To be eligible for a student visa, you must show that you have enough funds to support yourself while studying and enough English skills to complete your studies. If you are eligible for a student visa, you can apply for the Student Visa 500.
To be eligible for a student visa, you must:
- Be outside of Australia when you apply for your visa.
- Have been accepted by an approved educational institution to study full-time.
- Meet the English language requirements.
- Provide evidence that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay.
- Not have any health conditions that would put others at risk of infection.
- Provide proof that you will leave Australia when your visa expires.
- Commit not to work while studying and earning below $18,000 per year.
- Show the Australian Government how much money they’ll need to cover tuition fees and living expenses.
Basic Health Requirements
Before applying for your Australian Student Visa 500, you will need a valid Australian Medical Examination. This is required by the Australian Government to ensure that all foreign nationals coming to study in Australia are healthy and don’t risk transmitting diseases to Australians. The requirement includes a blood test for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV tests, and chest x-rays. Depending on where you get them done, these tests can range from $175 to $1,500.
You can go to many places for this type of health assessment, including doctors, clinics, and hospitals. In addition, depending on what country you come from and what country you’re studying in, some countries may be able to waive some or all of the costs associated with this procedure.
Basic English Language Requirements
To study at a public university or TAFE, you’ll need a minimum of an IELTS score of 6.5 and an ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) of 80. If you’re applying to study at a private university, the requirements will vary depending on the institution, but there is usually no language requirement.
Documents Required for Student Visa 500
- Proof of identity, such as a passport or driver’s license.
- Proof of education, such as a high school diploma or college transcripts.
- Police clearance certificate issued within the last 12 months.
- Medical examination certificate, issued within 12 months.
- Letter of acceptance from an accredited institution.
- Evidence that the applicant can meet personal and maintenance costs while studying in Australia must be included with the application.
- For courses less than 18 hours per week: evidence that the applicant has sufficient funds to study full-time for 18 hours per week.
- You will need to provide a letter from your school stating your grades and confirming that you are enrolled as an undergraduate or postgraduate student.
- For the student visa requirements, you will also need to provide evidence of adequate funds to support yourself during your studies.
- If you’re under 18, this should be a copy of your birth certificate, parental consent form, and proof of guardianship.
- If you’re over 18, this should be bank statements showing the availability of at least AUD 20,000 once your application has been approved by a Department of Immigration Officer.
Study visas are granted for one year only, but they can be renewed for up to five years if all conditions have been met. However, the Australian Government has quotas for overseas students, and there is a limit on how many visas are issued each year, so submit all documentation well before the end date for the relevant semester/term start date.
Processing time for Student Visa 500
An Australian Student Visa 500 for international students is a temporary residence visa that enables international students to study at an approved institution of higher education in Australia. The application process for student visas can vary, depending on the applicant’s country of origin. The average processing time for student visas is about six months. Students from certain countries with many applications may experience longer processing times. Applicants are usually advised to submit their application six months before they intend to commence their course.