What is Aged Dependent Relative Visa? A Detailed Guide

If you have an aged-dependent relative who wishes to migrate to Australia, you’re in luck! An aged dependent relative visa (subclass 838) lets your loved one legally live with you in Australia, provided they’re the same or younger than you and don’t have any criminal history. Unfortunately, many misconceptions about the aged dependent relative visa may prevent people from finding out whether it’s right for them.

This article will help you understand what the aged dependent relative visa entails so that you can make an informed decision about how to apply for it.

Who can apply for an aged-dependent relative visa?

The aged dependent relative visa subclass 114 is for single, widowed, divorced, or legally separated people with an Australian sponsor. The sponsor must be a close relative, such as a parent, grandparent, child, or sibling. The applicant must be 65 or older and financially dependent on the sponsor.

Requirements for an aged dependent relative visa

You must provide evidence of your financial dependency to apply for an aged-dependent relative visa. It’s usually easy to prove this by showing your bank statements or pension documents.

If you don’t meet these requirements, other visas may suit you better, such as the Career (Temporary) Visa Subclass 444 or 449, which allows you to live in Australia temporarily and work in any occupation without needing sponsorship from a close family member.

When do you need an aged-dependent relative visa?

  • You’ll need subclass 838 if you want to move to Australia to live with your close family member who is a permanent resident or citizen of Australia.
  • The Australian government offers this visa for people who cannot live independently due to their age.
  • You must be related to your sponsor by blood, marriage, or adoption to be eligible.
  • Additionally, you must be at least 65 years old and financially dependent on your sponsor.

There are two types of aged-dependent relative visa subclass 838:

  1. Temporary and
  2. Permanent.

Temporary visas can last up to two years, while permanent visas can last indefinitely. People who hold a temporary aged dependent relative visa will have to apply for another one before they can stay in Australia longer than two years. If you’re granted a permanent old dependent relative visa, then there’s no limit on how long you can stay in Australia.

The application process to apply for aged dependent relative visa

You’ll need to apply for a visa if you’re looking to bring an aged dependent relative to Australia. The first step is to ensure that your relative meets the requirements. They must be:

  • Your parent or step-parent
  • A widow, widower, or single partner over the age of 18
  • A brother, sister, step-brother, or step-sister over the age of 18 who is not married or in a de facto relationship
  • Be outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.
  • Be sponsored by a close relative who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident and usually resident in Australia
  • Be aged 55 years or older
  • Have no dependent children
  • Meet health and character requirements.

Your relative must also meet the health and character requirements and cost of visa.

Next, you’ll need to complete an application form and provide supporting documentation.

  • This includes birth certificates, proof of your relationship, and evidence of their financial dependence on you.

Once all this has been submitted, it will take approximately four months for your application to be processed. Once approved, your relative will need to attend an interview with a Department of Immigration and Border Protection officer overseas or at one of our offices here in Australia.

During this interview, they will need to show original documents, including passports and any family identification cards issued by government authorities, before receiving their visa.

The financial requirements to get aged dependent relative visa

To be eligible for an aged dependent relative visa, you must have a relative who is a permanent resident or citizen of Australia willing to sponsor you. Additionally, you must demonstrate that you have adequate financial support and accommodation arrangements.

This means you’ll need evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself. These funds must be deposited in an Australian bank account and cleared at least two months before your visa application is lodged. Financial requirements for an aged dependent relative visa are:

  1. Basic Requirements ;
  2. Minimum Income Requirement;
  3. Additional Income Requirements;
  4. Exemptions from Minimum Income Requirement may be available under certain circumstances.

Aged dependent relative visa processing time

The Aged Dependent Relative visa is a permanent visa that allows an elderly person dependent on a relative in Australia to live in the country. The application process can take up to two years, but it is worth it if you want to be close to your family. There are specific criteria for qualifying for this visa.

For example, applicants must meet certain health and character requirements.

They also need to have enough money to support them, and they must not have any mental or physical illnesses that will prevent them from living independently.

List of Documents Required

If you’re looking to apply for an aged dependent relative visa subclass 838, you’ll need to gather a few documents first. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:

  • Your birth certificate or other proof of your identity
  • Proof that your sponsor is over 18
  • Proof that they financially support you in Australia (bank statements, etc.)
  • The address where you plan on living in Australia (if different from the sponsor)
  • Evidence of your relationship with your sponsor and that they have no close relatives who can care for them in their home country. The letter must be notarized by a notary public or lawyer and then translated into English.
  • In addition, you may need to provide evidence of sponsorship, such as bank statements showing financial support given by the sponsor.

FAQ Related to Aged Dependent Relative Visa

  1. What is an aged dependent relative visa? 

The aged dependent relative visa is a type of visa that allows a person who is closely related to an Australian citizen or permanent resident to live in Australia. The person must be 65 or over and financially dependent on the relative. To be eligible for this visa, you must have an Australian citizen or permanent resident sponsor and meet specific health and character requirements.

  1. Who is eligible for an aged-dependent relative visa?

The Aged Dependent Relative visa is for single, widowed, divorced, or legally separated from their partner and aged 65 years or older. They must also depend on their relative, a permanent resident, or a citizen of Australia. To be eligible, applicants must have been in a continuous relationship with their relative for at least two years before applying for the visa.

  1. What are the requirements for an aged-dependent relative visa? 

Applicants need to provide evidence that they are single, widowed, divorced, or legally separated from their partner, evidence that they depend on their relative, and proof of this dependency. The Department of Home Affairs will assess applications based on these factors. There are no set criteria for how much you need to rely on your family member, but this factor will be considered during the assessment.

  1. How long does an aged dependent relative visa last?

An aged dependent relative visa lasts for an initial period of two years. After that, you can apply for a further extension of up to two years. There is no limit on the number of times you can extend your visa, as long as you remain eligible. So, you could stay on this visa indefinitely. However, each time you apply for an extension, you will need to provide evidence that you still offer significant financial support to your relative.

  1. What are the conditions of an aged dependent relative visa?

To be eligible for an aged dependent relative visa, the applicant must:

  • Be related to the sponsoring relative by blood, marriage, or adoption
  • Be at least 65 years of age
  • Not having a spouse or partner
  • Not having dependent children
  • Not be employed
  1. How can I apply for an aged-dependent relative visa?

If you have a relative who is aged and dependent on you, you may be able to apply for an aged dependent relative visa. This visa allows the aged relative to live with you in Australia. To be eligible, the relative must be single, widowed, or divorced and must not have any children who are unmarried and aged under 18 years old. The relative must also be financially dependent on you and unable to support themselves. You can begin the application process by completing an online form if you meet these criteria.

  1. Who can help me with the application process?

Many steps are involved in applying for an aged-dependent relative visa, and it can be challenging to keep track of everything. A Registered migration agent Australia can help you with the process and ensure you have all the necessary documentation. They can also provide guidance on what to expect during the application process.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add Comment *

Name *

Email *