Student Visa Subclass 500 is one of the most popular student visa types because it allows graduates and undergraduate students to stay in Australia for up to four years. At this point, they can apply to extend their study period or remain in Australia as permanent residents.
If you’re a student looking to come to Australia on the Subclass 500 visa, here’s everything you need to know about this visa, including what you need to apply, the Student Visa 500 fee, and how long it will take before you can start your studies.
About Australian Student Visa Subclass 500
Subclass 500 student visa is designed to provide a student visa to those individuals who wish to travel to Australia temporarily and undertake study in an accredited Australian education institution which can include primary, secondary, or tertiary education or vocational education and training.
To be eligible for this visa, the applicant must be outside Australia at the time of application, be under 50, and not currently residing in Australia on another type of temporary Australian visa, such as a 457, 417, or 462 subclass visa. The Student Visa checklist 500 will help them to get it applied successfully.
Eligibility Requirements to Apply for Student Visa 500
Student Visa Subclass 500 is a temporary visa, and it is available for those that want to study in Australia.
- The eligibility requirements for this visa are straightforward and include having a valid passport from one of the eligible countries.
- Additionally, you need to have enough money for your tuition fees and living expenses during your time as an international student.
- You must also complete high school before being accepted into Australia’s university or tertiary institution.
- A letter of acceptance is required with your application.
- Finally, submitting your application requires you to be under 30 years old.
Who Can Apply For Student Visa Subclass 500?
The student visa subclass 500 is a temporary visa available for international students who have completed or will complete a full-time course at a primary, secondary, or tertiary education institution in Australia. This visa offers eligibility for multiple extensions.
Applicants for a student visa can apply for and lodge their subclass 500 visa applications at either an Australian Consulate-General or Embassy overseas or a Department of Immigration and Border Protection office in Australia. However, it is important to note that only students outside Australia are eligible to do so.
How to Apply for A Student Visa 500?
A student visa is one of the ways for an international student to come and study in Australia. A student visa enables a person of any age who will be residing in Australia for more than 3 months to study an approved course with a registered educational institution and be allowed to work part-time.
- First of all, you need a student visa from an Australian embassy.
- Then apply for a student visa subclass 500 by filling out the application form and ensuring that your passport is in good condition.
- You will also need to show evidence of your qualifications. Include any academic or professional awards or distinctions you have earned in Australia or elsewhere.
- If you are currently enrolled at a university, list their name and confirm whether it is public or private; this will affect how long the process takes. If two universities match your qualification, mention them both on the application form but only list one as the institution where you are studying.
There are two subclasses of student visas –
- Subclass 600 and
- Subclass 500.
The difference between these two visas is that while subclass 600 only permits a student to study, subclass 500 also allows them to work part-time (but not full-time).
There are certain Student Visa 500 work limitation- 500 student visa holders are allowed work part-time only. The work must be either 20 hours per week at $150 per week or 10 hours per week at $150 per week with an annual salary of no more than $5,000.
Documents Required for Applying Student Visa 500
- A passport,
- Evidence of eligibility and documentation that you are enrolled in a full-time course at an accredited institution;
- Evidence that the institution is providing all financial support for your study.
- Proof of financial capacity can be in bank statements or other evidence confirming your ability to fund your studies.
- Evidence of health insurance coverage- Ensure you have proof of proper and sufficient health insurance coverage before applying for this visa subclass 500.
According to Student Visa 500 conditions, the Australian government will not provide such insurance coverage as they deem it expensive and unnecessary. It’s also up to each individual country what their requirements are when it comes to health care.
For example, some countries do not require health insurance, while others insist on showing at least three months’ worth of bank statements.
How Long will the Process Take to Apply for Student Visa?
The time it takes for your application to be processed and approved can vary, but it usually takes around 12 weeks from the date of lodgement. However, this may take longer in some cases due to unforeseen circumstances, such as submitting all required documents correctly.
Cost of Student Visa 500 Application
When applying for your subclass 500 student visa, the Student Visa 500 fee is $440 (paid in Australian dollars). This estimate excludes courier or mailing fees, which can vary according to your need. If you plan on traveling with your passport by air, it may be a cheaper option for you.
The Student Visa 500 extension fee is $750.
There are several reasons why you might need to apply for an extension, including:
- More time is needed to study or finish an academic course of study;
- You have completed a course and want more time in Australia; or
- You may not be allowed back into your home country.
Extensions will be granted if it’s demonstrated that a visa holder has made substantial progress towards completing their degree or other qualification.
The first step in getting your subclass 500 student visa is deciding on which type of application to submit. This decision must be made before submitting an application.
Cancellation of The Application
The application for a student visa will be canceled, and an applicant will have their overseas student status canceled if they have not maintained satisfactory progress.
A further requirement is that applicants have not breached their visa conditions or been disqualified from holding a student visa. If the cancellation applies, an applicant must apply for another type of visa if they still wish to travel to Australia. Depending on their circumstances, an applicant may be eligible for other types of visas, such as a temporary graduate visa or visitor visa.
Benefits of Getting The Student Visa Subclass 500
- The main advantage of getting the subclass 500 is that it is faster than some other visa types because you need less money for investment, and you can apply in Australia.
- When the course finishes, the study period expires, and according to the Student Visa 500 working rights hour, you have 60 days to find a job, go back home or get another type of visa like subclass 187 or 457.
- It offers students a range of visa options.
- Offers greater flexibility for students in terms of studying location, institution, and course.
- Allows students who cannot complete their qualifications to be eligible for permanent residency.
- Provides more opportunities for individuals living outside Australia.
- Applicants currently enrolled at an Australian school can apply for a visa.
- To qualify, the applicant must have completed at least two years of secondary education or have attained an equivalent academic level.
- The Student Visa 500 working rights allow you to work up to 20 hours per week during your studies and full-time during holidays.